Join the Discussion ...

Professional journalist license

With the Internet crowded with 'citizen journalists,' it's time for organizations like the Society of Professional Journalists and universities to team up to create a licensing structure for journalists (including photojournalists). Media organizations could then make a big deal out of how many professional journalists they have on staff. It would help with credentials at events, etc. It would also mandate the kinds of training journalists should undergo to maintain standards of truthfulness in the field.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joyce Pines shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Virgil Bierschwale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I fear that licensing would make it harder for people like myself to try and make a living after my career was offshored, I also fear that this would make it even easier for the large players to spread propaganda.

That said, I do feel that the industry that I was inadvertently drawn too must establish a set of ethical rules that the industry should adhere too.

I tried to address some of these issues in the following article

http://keepamericaatwork.com/?p=11278

Respectfully,

Virgil Bierschwale
        http://www.KeepAmericaAtWork.com

• Michael Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to do something. The general public is having difficulty differentiating between opinion and reporting. News and entertainment lacks boundaries. Even news organizations are repeating information reported by other organizations as fact, without sourcing, or fact checks.

It seems it would be difficult to reinstate the 'fairness doctrine' in light of new media, and since 'the cows have already left the stable.'

Licensure seems the most effective and unobtrusive path to developing a distinction between 'news' and 'opinion.'

I think the previous poster has missed the point. Most professional licenses are not Federal or even State supported. Most are developed through professional societies, as a way to lift the Knowledge, Skills and Ability standards of a profession. Most include training requirements, peer review of past experience and adherence to a code of ethics.

Professional licenses are renewed annually, require continuing education and ethical behavior.

Please tell me the problem with this approach.

Let's hope we have movement in this area soon, before our children begin to think all reporting is... opinion, and all news if 'funny.'

• tnogrop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, man. You have got to be kidding. This is straight out of Orwell.
        Maybe they should be licensed by the Ministry of Truth. If I don't have
        a license, then I just go home and commune with big brother on my
        wall sized TV, instead of involving myself in the democratic process.
        Truth and accuracy will sort itself out. It already is, when you look
        at FOX News effectively tearing up the NBC BS outlet channels in
        the ratings. You can fool some of the people some of the time...
        Don't let the FCC improve your media. When was the last time
        the Federal goverment ever improved something it got its hands
        on...?

Feedback and Knowledge Base