CLOSED: What government policies could improve the news and information media?

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

Creative ideas are needed. Please tell us what could be done to improve information and news in this digital era.

Join the Discussion ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Include companies such as ATT U-Verse under definition of a cable company to hold companies such as u-verse to a higher standard

Companies such a ATT U-verse get away with murder, not being classified as a cable company in the Telecommunications act of 1996. Due to this they do not need to provide many essential services normal cable companies have to provide. This includes but is not limited to owning your own equipment, having the right to setup your own equipment to avoid installation fees, have accessibly to HDTV on your pc via mandatory firewire connection on all STB, and many other features standard cable companies have to provide becuase it was deemed essential by the federal communication commission for cable owners…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Improving the Media  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. We don't need News Media we need written in Stone Net Neutrality.

The media has become obsolete and it doesn’t need replacement.
    We don’t need sponsorship- that is corruption.
    We don’t need corporate propaganda.
    We don’t need state propaganda.
    We don’t need eye witness experts.
    We don’t need media platforms or platform holders.
    We don’t need news organizations especially not the for profit kind.
    We don’t need more of the money for money’s sake nonsense.
    We don’t need media filters.

What is needed is true net neutrality that will ensure that citizens of the world can consider ideas relative to the impact they will have on their own lives. We need a…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Stop all advertizing and other annoying information while a TV show is in progress.

Stop all advertizing and other annoying information while a TV show is in progress. It's wonderful to have a 55 inch HD TV. But when you have a useless logo in one corner of the screen and Twitter accounts, Facebook accounts in the other corners. It's a little hard to see the screen. Not to mention the little movie that pops up in the bottom third of the screen at the high point of your program! Ban all clutter while the program is on.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. FCC's distortion news policy dichotomy

The policy for combating news distortion requires insider knowledge of the event. Without an actual rule in place, the FCC's policy offers no whistle-blower's protections, yet requires a whistle-blower to file the distortion complant.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Improving the Media  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. no new policies

stop the government overreach

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make Internet Affordable and Available for Every American and Stop Cellular Providers from Limiting Data

As the consumer, I do not choose how much data is on a website, or how much is consumed when I play a YouTube video. Verizon forced me out of my unlimited data plan when my old cell finally died. I'm in a small town in Louisiana with two grocery stores and one is Walmart. Local newspaper comes out twice a week. Maybe 1 in 50 here have the internet because they cannot afford it, so the only information they have access to is Fox News. Hundreds of thousands of Americans think and vote against their own best interest because…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Issue two different types of license. One for entertainment and one for news.

Does broadcasting in the public interest mean providing consumers with information they want to see, or providing citizens with information they need to know? I suggest that two types of license should be issued. One type would be a commercial/entertainment license where broadcasters could operate pretty much as commercial broadcasting operates now. One possible new requirement would be to provided free air time for political candidates. The second type of license would be an information/news license. No commercial advertising would be allowed. The service would be supported by subscription and/or public and private financing. Strict limitations would be placed on…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Split the airwaves 50/50 commercial and non-profit public owned financed by commercial license fees.

In the San Francisco Bay Area we have the SF Chronicle which has reduced it's daily newspaper to a fraction of what it was in the 70's, has more advertising than news, and it's current news coverage is pro-corporate and anti-democratic, filtering out news that makes these entities look bad. My local paper in Oakland, the Tribune, is owned by a corporate chain that publishes 80% of the newspapers in the region. It publishes corporate clone news and is biased toward business interests, throwing locals an occassional bone of information. The local TV and Radio is likewise too much advertising…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It would be best for the FCC (government) to get out of the way.

The marketplace does quite well at deciding what it needs and desires. Americans are much wiser than bureaucrats think. There are examples of government influence in media around the globe. None of those are very good.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Anti-Trust/Anti-Merger Laws

In response to the continuing deterioration of the quality of news and information that is being relayed to the public through various forms of media, certain governmental policies must be put in place. The Federal Communications Commission should suspend all mergers and consolidations between media corporations indefinitely. The FCC should in fact completely reform its rules and regulations in regards to media ownership such that these corporations are forced to give back to the community. Right now, the owners of the media corporations have almost total control of the content of their news, oftentimes leading to biased news or infotainment.…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Establish 10-Watt Low Power FM Broadcast Licences

Implement the FCC's existing rules that allow the establishment of 10-Watt Low Power FM radio broadcasting stations. These stations could be set up to provide local community service in inner-city neighborhoods. This would allow inner-city residents to build up their neighborhoods and communities.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ban the use of emergency vehicle sirens on the radio.

Most radio listeners do so in their vehicle. It is imperative that we be able to identify real emergency vehicles by their siren. It is a public safety hazard when a radio commercial uses an emergency siren that confuses drivers from a real emergency vehicle.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Camera.co.id Toko Kamera Murah di Indonesia

Camera.co.id Toko Kamera Murah di Indonesia
    <a href="http://gadgetkitau.blogspot.com/2013/12/camera-co-id-toko-kamera-murah-di-indonesia.html">Camera.co.id Toko Kamera Murah di Indonesia</a>

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Regulate Wire Communications as is the FCC mission that is ignored.

The Communications Act of 1934 established the FCC to REGULATE wire communications and this has not been done since US Courts christened them "the Internet" in 1996. The FCC should run a search engine and fine for inappropriate wire communications. See Eighth Circuit (11-2558) for the Brief

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop Allowing Cable Providers to Block Citizen Owned Networks

Many people may not know this, but the Television Stations 2-13 belong to the citizens of the United States. Too often, Cable Providers block customer access to these channels over some dispute between the parties. If you are going to run a Cable TV Service Provider (Optimum, Time warner cable, FIOS, etc.) it is your responsibility to accomodate Channels 2-13 regardless of any disputes between the parties. If the only way to ensure this happens is to set a Federally Instituted rebroadcast fee, so be it, I doubt the Providers would agree. What we really need is the FCC to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stop targeting me with user based advertisements. I never click, it's harassment!

I am so sick of it. I can't stand it. I'm really angry. I NEVER click on these advertisements. I NEVER pay attention to then. So just stop advertising to me. It's pointless, and more like harassment and an invasion of privacy. Is it possible to opt out of the advertisement world completely, or at least online and digitially!? I can't take it anymore.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Government has no business whatsoever in improving news or information. Stay out of our First Amendment

Since the FCC is supposed to work for "We the People" I think we should have a civilian panel that will come into regional FCC offices to monitor emails, faxes, telephone calls, and other forms of internal communications, so we can improve the FCC in this dictatorial era.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Failure to meet local content rules could spark referendum on license renewal

It is obvious from the history of the FCC that few licenses are ever revoked. I think there has been one or two in the history of the agency. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of political science knows that commissions set in place to regulate industries all to often end up defending not the public from the industry, but the industry from the public.

What I propose is that the FCC's current or proposed rules regarding local content, etc. be enacted however ... but rather than leaving the decision to revoke a license solely to the FCC - the commission…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

CLOSED: What government policies could improve the news and information media?

Feedback and Knowledge Base