CLOSED: Media In Your Community

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

Tell us about your community and its media. Do you have a newspaper? Local TV news stations? Great websites? Anything else? What works well? What works poorly? How have things changed over time? What information do you wish you could get but can’t?

Please list the City and State you’re telling us about as the title of your idea.

1. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Worcester MA- offers a range

Diverse options, though not all are aware of them. We've got a big paper, taken over by the Times, that's always been a republican anti-union voice in a democratic town. (It took until grad school for me to hear the pros of labor unions) WoMag is a bit smaller, tries to be the independent, shares blog posts. Small papers are bubbling up - the working-class InCity Times, the immigrant community's Radiant. We've got web media as well - a thriving socialweb.net, an underground Wormtown.org that's been around long enough to be nearly mainstream, and offshoots from that as well. Local…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. South San Francisco, CA

My city of 60,000 has no local newspaper. As a result our citizens are uninformed about local issues with city government and schools.
    A couple of years ago I started a local Yahoo Group called SouthCityUSA.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southcityusa/

There members can post about what's going on in our community and discuss issues.
    I created an ongoing Google Alert for "South San Francisco" and I post links to pertinent news stories that appear in the San Francisco Chronicle, or other nearby newspapers and television broadcasts that mention our city, as well as press releases and city government meetings and agendas.
    It's not…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Santa Fe, NM Great public radio station, bare-bones newspapers

KSFR is listener-supported and has a great news team. The local papers, though, have tiny staffs and very little impact, and are down to about three pages of news--mostly of the press-release variety. Our free "alternative weekly" city paper, the Santa Fe Reporter, has seen better days. From what I understand, they now leave reporting to interns, most of whom don't write well enough for a forum like this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Montesano, WA

We need more local media, and less corporate propaganda. Almost everyone thinks they know things that are simply not true because of a lack of objective media.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Vancouver, WA - Not easy to access quality non-corporate controlled Radio, TV and Print Media

Only those people who really make the effort are able to access independent media. The FCC should as a first step follow the Canadian model. CBC Radio is exemplary and is readily available to everyone.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Phoenix, AZ

Phoenix is a complicated major market with few real choices of widely distributed media. The dominant voice is libertarian-free market only, with little give and take about the importance of public resources and ownership. Democracy requires free access to information of all kinds, so we can create communities that work for all of us.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SF Bay Area has poor global and local coverage

If it were not for the presence of public TV stations that carry Deutche Welle, Russia Today, now My India and similar news shows we would get only the watered down "highlights" spewed out of the syndicate wires.
    There is no in depth, detailed, thorough and continuing newspaper coverage of local and state government issues and public debate. Lots of corporate speak though.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In Rockville Dan Snyder owns 1260, 980, 570 for sports and information. He owns other stations too.

In Rockville, Dan Snyder owns many radio stations. He used to use 1260 for progressive radio shows. He replaced it with Bloomberg radio which to me does not have enough variety on it. He kept his right wing station 570 with his d information of right wing talk and had the Ed Schultz show on for a while and took it off. shows like ed Shultz, Thom Hartman, Norm Goldman, Bill Press should be back on in the area. There is more interest in them then what dan snyder is putting on and he obviously is showing a political agenda…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. windsor has no freedom at all the press is shut down because of the hidious influence of the CAS

children,s aid societies are like an octopus they control everything so there is no free media in Windsor , in fact they shiever athe name of CAS agencies

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I am a journalist for more than 15 years. When i started my profession it was too difficult .

Since 19 years we have better opportunity in my lovely country Ethiopia. We have all types of media [press,tv, and radio]. You have in America developed community and developed economy. I have one important question for you. That is why do western media including yours have blurred mind about Ethiopia?. Why do you blacken the efforts of our government by enmity?. When you respond this question positively , we will share each other many ideas.
    Thank you so much.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Sundown, NY -We own the local paper and hope to be able to preserve the right of freedom of speech

Our paper is small, but effective and has been in existence since 1947. It is a weekly. We pride ourselves in printing the truth and acknowledge people's difference of opinions.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 49013

We need to allow tv stations wmxi and wood to set up a low power rebroadcaster in or around the South Haven or Bangor Michigan area. TV reception on these channels are not always avalible to rual people when it is bad weather.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New Law on June 12th Hurts!!

I am a local DJ that Dj's wedding, Parties, Dances etc. I have a wireless microphone that i paid almost $900 for and now will be obsolite in less than month. I went to a few Dj stores in the area to find some stores still selling wireless mic sets that will be illegal to own come june 12th. I wish there was something i could do about this. Any suggestions?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Twitter, Facebook, Executable English

Social Media for Knowledge Capture and Question Answering in Executable English over Databases. It could become the next big thing after Twitter and Facebook. And, shared use is free.
    Google: "Executable English"

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rock Island, IL

For decades, the news has been something that people can count on to be in the media, whether it was in newspapers, radio, television, or, more recently, the internet. I had never really thought about how journalists get their information for the news until a recent visit to WQAD.
    For a while, I can imagine that journalists have had to go to great lengths to find exactly what they need for a good story. Research using books, interviews, and undercover investigation were, and still are, great resources for finding good news. But now that the internet has basically taken over…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Online news, Fort lauderdale, fl

The online version of the Fort Lauderdale Sun sentinel is like that of so many newspapers -- geared to the lowest common denominator and similar to local TV news. I would gladly pay $10-$20 month for online news that was presented in an intelligent format and didn't focus on sports, crime, and celebrities.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED: Media In Your Community

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base