Tell us about your community ...

San Diego, CA

KPBS does a good job of delivering local news, as does some of the smaller papers (La jolla light,...). The Union Tribune does a passable job , but the depth and perspectives on local affairs leaves something to be desired. Most of the community involvement sections asking for votes on an issue are inherently slanted if not frivolous.
The TV news stations are a joke (with the exception of KPBS TV.... which usually spends more prime time on national news and arts and does not have a solid local news segment that I am aware of. That said their utilization of the web to allow for access to already aired content is admirable and much appreciated.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    patrick.rye shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bruce sims commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with Mr.Rye regarding KPBS about 'delivering news'. As far as I'm concerned, it is terrible on all levels. That it won't allow viewers to see viewpoints that challenge the 'current wisdom' or provide an alternative to 'govspeak' are but two examples. Add to that the apparent uynwillingness to address those younger than 40 but over 20 and it fails.
        All the other stations that are english speaking are but outlets for the corporate mass media which is failing this country and promoting the 'dumbing down' of our nation.
        The newspapers in San Diego County are reflective of 'right wing' views and fail completely when it comes to indepth or investigative reporting. The Union Tribune IS good for wrapping fish or lining the bottom of a birdcage.

Radio is only good for music,especially since NPR has decided to be a rightwing trumpet.

It is ONLY through access to the internet that I gain meaningful,insightful journalism that is truly informative.

Feedback and Knowledge Base