basofinj shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Martin Macias Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello - I'm also from Chicago and I appreciate the clarity in your description of our media outlets. I agree that we have a good variety of options where we get our information, but issues of conglomeration, representation, and ownership are always responsible questions to raise in such a large market. I work at a community latino public radio station in Pilsen called Radio Arte. Coming from an independent media perspective I will say that my view of the local media is a little more critical, with the intention of collaborating and developing in anyway we can with these groups. First I will say that the Chicago Reader's Ben Jarovski has really been the only journalist in the city constantly reporting on the TIF program, which funnels property tax revenue into a fund that the mayor runs with virtually no oversight. There are many issues in Chicago like school closings, privatization of public services, irresponsible community development that all deserve attention and steadfast effort to hold groups/individuals accountable. On Radio Arte's public affairs shows members of Teachers for Social Justice are the voices that offer analysis of education issues and also insight into movements to reform education from the grassroots. I don't want to sound divisive but I do think independent media consistently promotes a range of perspectives that is a key component of reliable information. Peace

• basofinj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chicago is a wonderful media city. We have several newspapers. The biggest are the Chicago Tribune (part of the larger Tribune Media Services), the smaller Chicago Sun-Times, on down to some more local papers in the suburbs, and several papers targeted at different interests (e.g., the Chicago Reader for entertainment, etc., Crains for business). Our local TV stations have pretty good news shows as far as local news go. as for Chicago-oriented websites, I tend to use national websites that have Chicago-based versions like Metromix, and Yelp, each of which has a strong and useful presence in Chicago. I can't imagine any Chicago-related information that I can't get from the local media.

Feedback and Knowledge Base