Tell us about your community ...

DALLAS, TEXAS

Dear FCC, I am writing you in response to the upcoming renewal of the broadcasting liscense for 105.3 “The Fan” radio station in Dallas, Texas. I understand that the public is encouraged to voice concerns about the station to the FCC prior to the renewal of their liscense. I am writing to inform you that this station, like many talk radio stations in this country, discriminates against the hiring of young African-American broadcasters.
Like many talk radio stations, they’ve tried to mask their hiring agenda by only hiring African-Americans that only cary a specific stature such as former athletes or blacks that already hold important well –known titles such as tv personalities, retired professional sports athletes, etc. This same standard is not held towards up-and-coming Caucasian broadcasters. It’s ironic that most of the athletes that this station covers are African-American but they only have one black broadcaster on the station. And of course, this black broadcaster is a well-known employee of the local Dallas Mavericks. This is a troubling trend in radio because African-Americans are not given the same opportunities to pursue a career in radio as their white counterparts.
I’ve noted some reasons as to why 105.3 “The Fan” does not give opportunities to up-and-coming African-American broadcasters:

1. African-American broadcasters do not have the “typical sound” that the Program Director looks for which unfortuately subconsciously discriminates against blacks.
2. Program Directors subconsciously believe suburban listeners will not listen to a voice unlike their owns.

Because of these beliefs and the hiring practices of this station and many other talk stations – I do not believe it operates in the best interest of the public. I hope that these concerns will be raised and addressed with 105.3 “The Fan” (CBS Radio) as well as others like 103.3 ESPN (KESN) and 1310 “The Ticket” (KTCK) among others.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)