CLOSED: Media In Your Community

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

Tell us about your community and its media. Do you have a newspaper? Local TV news stations? Great websites? Anything else? What works well? What works poorly? How have things changed over time? What information do you wish you could get but can’t?

Please list the City and State you’re telling us about as the title of your idea.

1. West Hartford, CT

West Hartford Community Television embedded cameras with student video teams in every public school and library in town along with people in neighborhoods and local non-profits. These Be The Media Reporters tell grass-roots hyper-local stories that are hosted online on www.whctv.org and then run together in innovative mtv style clip reel news show on the community public access channel.

The concentration of media ownership in our market means that there are fewer journalists seeking out stories and more coverage of the same stories. This program called "Be The Media" encourages people to tell the stories they care about and provides…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. about Public Access TV

We need to know how our government is doing to protect the public interest instead of the big corporations interest. We need to see local policy debates, we need a clean election process. We don't have access to any of these information. But most of all we need to get rid of this new career named “lobbyist”. They are good only to damage the population interest. There are too many of them and the government needs to do something.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. York, PA

We need investigative reporting at all levels of government especially local and state. In comparison to Federal neither of these get the coverage. We do have City Council and some other city produced informational tidbits carried on Comcast but not on any of the satellite providers (which needs to be shared by Comcast and required to be carried as local channels by satellite providers, etc) and although you can watch it on the web I don't believe you can watch it till two weeks later. So there is no interaction via online. We have the same problem at the state…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hartford, CT - State Public Affairs Networks Bring C-SPAN Style Coverage to State Government

Imagine: 50 mini "C-SPANs" across the nation whose focus is greater citizen engagement through transparent, unfiltered and undistracted coverage of their constituent state governments. For many states like Connecticut, Washington, Florida and Wisconsin, it’s already a reality. In Connecticut, the Connecticut Network (CT-N), now in its 12th year of operation, has garnered national attention and recognition from organizations like the Connecticut Foundation for Open Government and the National Society for Professional Journalists for providing 24/7 coverage of all three branches of government and public policy on basic cable TV, on the internet, and most recently on AT&T U-Verse.

State public…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. seattle's best outlets for community input into the media are through its public radio stations

Seattle has one large daily newspaper, The Seattle Times, since the extinction of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in March 2009. It is a hybrid between a McClatchy chain paper and a family owned dynasty (Blethen). While there is some support for investigative and in-depth journalism and the current editor is an advocate of net neutrality, the business model for this newspaper limits the ability for any kind of wide scale community forums and feedback, though there is an opportunity to respond via internet blogs on most stories.

Radio is a better avenue for community participation, as two large public radio stations,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Sundown, NY -We own the local paper and hope to be able to preserve the right of freedom of speech

Our paper is small, but effective and has been in existence since 1947. It is a weekly. We pride ourselves in printing the truth and acknowledge people's difference of opinions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Seattle, Washington

Underdogs like myself who are fighting back against big media conglomerates, they continue taking over local outlets(radio, TV and newspapers) all over America, silencing independent voices, especially minorities. They have made a mockery of the commitment to “operate in the public interest”, convenience and necessity.

It is time for the FCC and “Press” to stop serving the agenda of mega media corporations and the politicians they control....and start serving “Democracy” now.
    I have lived in Washington's state since 1972, and I have seen many injustices in broadcasting...for example, just to mention one of the hundreds....It is unfair that Anglos, who…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I am a journalist for more than 15 years. When i started my profession it was too difficult .

Since 19 years we have better opportunity in my lovely country Ethiopia. We have all types of media [press,tv, and radio]. You have in America developed community and developed economy. I have one important question for you. That is why do western media including yours have blurred mind about Ethiopia?. Why do you blacken the efforts of our government by enmity?. When you respond this question positively , we will share each other many ideas.
    Thank you so much.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Funding for public radio in L.A.

I want more local news magazines on stuff going on in my city. The skeleton crews at the local newsrooms are totally insufficient.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. windsor has no freedom at all the press is shut down because of the hidious influence of the CAS

children,s aid societies are like an octopus they control everything so there is no free media in Windsor , in fact they shiever athe name of CAS agencies

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Bellingham, Washington

The media in my city, my state, and in this country, has deteriorated to such an extent that I no longer watch or listen to any of it -- with the exception of NPR and occasionally PBS (although the defunding of PBS, and its increasing reliance on corporate sponsorship, has resulted in its deterioration).

My primary source of news, outside of NPR, is now foreign, including the CBC, BBC, Al Jazeera, and other online sources.

Democracy relies on a vibrant public sphere, and the media play an essential role. American democracy is becoming increasingly dysfunctional as a result of our…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Radio Station Ownership

Each radio station should be locally and independently owned by a governing board reflecting the diversity of the community. Non-commercial stations should be given priority.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fort Collins, CO is the only city along the Front Range without access to classical music.

KCFR in Denver took over the frequency that KVOD used to use to broadcast classical music beyond the Denver Metro area all the way north to Fort Collins. KCFR duplicates the NPR programming that we already were receiving from KUNC in Greeley, so its use of KVOD's frequency is not beneficial. The Fort Collins area needs a frequency that can be used for a repeater from KVOD or another classical music station such as KCME.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Chicago, IL: Wi-Fi Mesh Networks + Hyperlocal News and Information

As part of the 49th ward's participatory budgeting process (see http://participatorybudgeting49.wordpress.com/) one of the proposals for the ward's menu money is a pilot of free, public Wi-Fi mesh network. I see such platforms as a great opportunity for hyperlocal journalism. As broadband expansion projects gain more traction, I think its important to look at how they can not only increase access to networks or content, abstractly, but crucial community news and information as well.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. North Bonneville, Washington

4-2-10

North Bonneville, Washington, is a small city of around 500 residents.

County: Skamania
    Nearest city: Stevenson, WA
    Nearest large near Cities: Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR

Local newspaper is Skamania County Pioneer, no web presence, no state or national news unless told to print it by officials. A so-so newspaper. Likes to print gossip and often is inaccurate.

Local TV: KGW, NBC affil; KOIN - CBS affil; KATU - ABC affiliate; KPTV - Fox affiliate; KOPB - PBS - best news but not local. Even so, each station is biased toward the right. Perhaps KGW/NBC is the fairest but…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Santa Cruz, CA great public radio, newspaper needs support, free internet access

Our local newspaper, the Sentinel, is essential to hearing about what is going on in our county. It has been getting smaller, and needs a new way of supporting a staff of reporters. Our NPR stations, KUSP, KQED, KAZU & KZSC are all life savers, and depend on federal funding to survive. Most important, we need to maintain our access to the internet through multiple suppliers to keep costs down, and through our libraries. I want Public TV to offer mentally healthy news alternative.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. mentally healthy news

I want the option of a mentally healthy media. The current media is built around assumptions of conflict, fear, and gossip. I want to hear about about our problems, including suggested solutions and successful efforts to deal with the problems. This reinforces our sense of capability as a people. I want to know what is valid truth rather than presenting false talking points as if that balances the perspective. I want a place for news where courteous discourse is the norm.

The current websites use algorithms built on what is popular, which amps up adrenaline rush topics and the lowest…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED: Media In Your Community

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base