CLOSED: Media In Your Community

The reboot.fcc.gov project has ended. All related public feedback forums have been closed.*

Tell us about your community and its media. Do you have a newspaper? Local TV news stations? Great websites? Anything else? What works well? What works poorly? How have things changed over time? What information do you wish you could get but can’t?

Please list the City and State you’re telling us about as the title of your idea.

Tell us about your community ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. New Law on June 12th Hurts!!

I am a local DJ that Dj's wedding, Parties, Dances etc. I have a wireless microphone that i paid almost $900 for and now will be obsolite in less than month. I went to a few Dj stores in the area to find some stores still selling wireless mic sets that will be illegal to own come june 12th. I wish there was something i could do about this. Any suggestions?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Portland, OR -- a city with above-average independent media...

...can be a testing ground for a system of sustainable public funding for independent news/journalism. Based on McChesney & Nichols' model for saving American journalism, we can use a combination of opt-in public utility (power, phone, etc.) fees &/or state/local tax check-offs to finance existing (or new) local nonprofit radio, web & print news sources.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The news no longer covers election issues because they make more $$ from political advertising

If the news outlets covered elections as they should, there would be no need for candidates to advertise. If candidates had no need to advertise, they wouldn't need to sell us out to the wealthy special interests. We might actually get some public servants rather than the corporate shills we now have.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 49013

We need to allow tv stations wmxi and wood to set up a low power rebroadcaster in or around the South Haven or Bangor Michigan area. TV reception on these channels are not always avalible to rual people when it is bad weather.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. York, PA

We need investigative reporting at all levels of government especially local and state. In comparison to Federal neither of these get the coverage. We do have City Council and some other city produced informational tidbits carried on Comcast but not on any of the satellite providers (which needs to be shared by Comcast and required to be carried as local channels by satellite providers, etc) and although you can watch it on the web I don't believe you can watch it till two weeks later. So there is no interaction via online. We have the same problem at the state…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Sundown, NY -We own the local paper and hope to be able to preserve the right of freedom of speech

Our paper is small, but effective and has been in existence since 1947. It is a weekly. We pride ourselves in printing the truth and acknowledge people's difference of opinions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. seattle's best outlets for community input into the media are through its public radio stations

Seattle has one large daily newspaper, The Seattle Times, since the extinction of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in March 2009. It is a hybrid between a McClatchy chain paper and a family owned dynasty (Blethen). While there is some support for investigative and in-depth journalism and the current editor is an advocate of net neutrality, the business model for this newspaper limits the ability for any kind of wide scale community forums and feedback, though there is an opportunity to respond via internet blogs on most stories.

Radio is a better avenue for community participation, as two large public radio stations,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Evanston, IL

We have one newspaper, one student radio station (no news worth speaking of) and one cable tv station. The real problem here is the complete lack of news about the state of ILlinois -- legislative, executive and judicial. The Chicago Tribune is worthless and the Sun Times is struggling. Neither really covers state news. Help!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paulding Co. Georgia has been experimenting with new media since 2003

Paulding County Georgia is in a media market of 135,000 folks located just west of Cobb county in the Atlanta DMA. With 25,000 residents in 1980 (rapid growth), and relatively slow commercial growth (about 18 percent of the tax digest is business properties vs. the balance residential) despite its size, market was never 'mature' enough to support a local daily newspaper in the time before the Internet arrived.. The last local radio effort died in the mid-1990s leaving the community being poorly served by the Atlanta media. Local media consists of two free-distribution weekly's, one paid distribution weekly (only one…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Middletown, RI

Democrats are in the majority here. Yet our local AM station, WADK, refuses to air anything but right wing wacko talk and bland drivel. Ergo, most listen to the morning news & weather, then shut it off in favor of NPR. I would love to be able to listen to progressive talk on the radio, but it simply isn't available. Bring back the Fairness Doctrine!!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I am a journalist for more than 15 years. When i started my profession it was too difficult .

Since 19 years we have better opportunity in my lovely country Ethiopia. We have all types of media [press,tv, and radio]. You have in America developed community and developed economy. I have one important question for you. That is why do western media including yours have blurred mind about Ethiopia?. Why do you blacken the efforts of our government by enmity?. When you respond this question positively , we will share each other many ideas.
    Thank you so much.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Funding for public radio in L.A.

I want more local news magazines on stuff going on in my city. The skeleton crews at the local newsrooms are totally insufficient.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. windsor has no freedom at all the press is shut down because of the hidious influence of the CAS

children,s aid societies are like an octopus they control everything so there is no free media in Windsor , in fact they shiever athe name of CAS agencies

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bellingham, Washington

The media in my city, my state, and in this country, has deteriorated to such an extent that I no longer watch or listen to any of it -- with the exception of NPR and occasionally PBS (although the defunding of PBS, and its increasing reliance on corporate sponsorship, has resulted in its deterioration).

My primary source of news, outside of NPR, is now foreign, including the CBC, BBC, Al Jazeera, and other online sources.

Democracy relies on a vibrant public sphere, and the media play an essential role. American democracy is becoming increasingly dysfunctional as a result of our…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Spring, Texas 77381.

I only listen to NPR. What happened to both sides of the story? Our newspaper, The Villager, did not even carry the story of President Obama's election. Fair and balanced is hard to find around here. I'd like to hear and see the news reported as it happens, without someone's biased spin attached. I'll take responsibility for sorting through the facts and making my own decisions. Our community is owned by the party of "No".

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Chicago, IL: Wi-Fi Mesh Networks + Hyperlocal News and Information

As part of the 49th ward's participatory budgeting process (see http://participatorybudgeting49.wordpress.com/) one of the proposals for the ward's menu money is a pilot of free, public Wi-Fi mesh network. I see such platforms as a great opportunity for hyperlocal journalism. As broadband expansion projects gain more traction, I think its important to look at how they can not only increase access to networks or content, abstractly, but crucial community news and information as well.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Saint Paul, Minnesota

The metro daily newspapers and commercial broadcast media in St. Paul fail to provide the St. Paul community with regular local coverage of the important civic information they need to function as citizens in a democracy--information on local elections and governance, whether related to the state legislature, city council, school board, county board of commissioners, municipal water district, park system, or sheriff's department. We get little or no information from commercial broadcasting or commercial newspapers about local environmental issues, local education issues, local housing issues, or other issues specific to local ethnic or religious communities or neighborhoods. We get little…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Corvallis, OR

Local media is extremely limited. The daily newspaper is lame. Other print publications are somewhat interesting, but infrequent. Local broadcast is minimal and unexciting, except for KBOO, locally rebroadcast, but Portland oriented. Cable access TV has some promise, but too few volunteers to create much programming.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED: Media In Your Community

Feedback and Knowledge Base