Join the Discussion...

Less Petty Crime Stories and More Relation to Global News at the Local Level

Local news is flooded with stories of "an armed robbery on 6th street" or "a house fire in this neighborhood." While these stories are indeed important to the victims, there is little chance that they affect even 1% of the community that hears these reports.

Local news must include more national and international stories and how those stories affect local citizens. Local news is one of the most utilized sources for news among Americans, so it needs to adequately reflect not only the local community, but the national and international community as well.

It goes without saying that this news should not be focused on celebrity gossip but on stories of international impact. It is startling how little people know about the world, including the names of international leaders other than Barack Obama.

This short presentation from TED.com give a very good overview of the problems we face with newsmedia in America:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/alisa_miller_shares_the_news_about_the_news.html

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Beauregard BahnamBeauregard Bahnam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex KAlex K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a spilt opinion for me- I agree with Danielle B, the "petty" stories about robberies and fire may not be important to everyone, but to some people, can put them on alert or just to be informed of whats going on in their area. So I do not think there needs to be any less of these stories as less celebrity gossip, as was mentioned above. There is enough of that in magazines, MTV, VH1 and other celebrity ridden stations. These slots should be filled with more national and international news, even on local news station.

• Danielle B.Danielle B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand the idea of not wanting to hear all about petty crimes, however, what makes a story petty? One person may argue that an armed robbery at the gas station up the street is pretty important to them, while others do not. It would almost seem unfair not to report those type of situations. I do agree that there should be more global news reported. I am totally guilty of not taking the initiative to find out about global news but I know that if it was on the local news, I would absolutely watch it. It will make us better citizens and voters while opening up our eyes to different cultures and problems. The way I see it, only good could come from it.

• Briana Anastasia TrewittBriana Anastasia Trewitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that there should be less petty crime stories. It does no good to the public to know that the local gas station was robbed. It's in the past, and there is nothing they can do about it because it does not directly affect them. However, global issues are of more importance because world events do effect the population and it shapes how our world is going to run. Therefore, it is in the best interest to broadcast global news.

• MariaMaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this statement. Now a day when you turn on the t.v reports of crime and negative actions taking place is what is being reported. What happened to reporting the real news? They should report what the public needs to know to be informed of what is global news. There should be local news as well but should be keep at a balance to report different information not just negative media.

Feedback and Knowledge Base