Join the Discussion...

News Vs Opinion must be clearly and frequently labeled as such. Facts should be clearly referenced.

There needs to be accountability for any NEWS Identifying distribution. Reported News needs to clearly reference sources. Corrections are manditory and get same time - time/slot.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RogerRoger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EmilEmil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Media as such should stick to facts and not speculation or supposition. I do not know of a single reliable source of news any longer. I am sure most of you have the same problem.

• Garry NuttGarry Nutt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What can be done about the extremely biased media. Without any doubt the media is liberal and protects or promotes President Obma any time something is reported. This then makes reporters political activista. I thought news was to be reported in unbiased manner. Also how can entertainers, such as Letter be allowed to promote one candidate over the other. There are conservatives who do not have such a open forum to promte thier choice. Obma has become quite the TV personality, and I believe Romney should receive the same opportunity.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The news is extremely biased in most cases and should be required to provide their sources of where they get their information. It's a shock that they don't have to already.

• C. GilleyC. Gilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be stricter restrictions on what can be reported as news and be required to be factual not misleading. We have networks that name themselves as news stations, but report lies. This is very harmful in our government process. Where are the fines, convictions and at the very least clarifications.

• Brian NossBrian Noss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, opinion-based news transforms anchors and reporters into political activists. Instead of delivering information to the community, their jobs become persuading the community - either explicitly or subliminally - to align with certain politicians, parties, or ideas. That is not news; that is the expression of personal agenda.

• Megan N.Megan N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to think about your audience. How many readers/viewers do you think would actually look at this reference, much less determine if the source that was cited is a legitimate and trustworthy cite? In many cases facts are referenced but I would like to see the number of people who check the "facts". I think its a good start, but much more would be needed to actually differentiate news vs. opinion.

• Beauregard BahnamBeauregard Bahnam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am especially attracted to the idea that facts be clearly referenced. I do fear, however, that this would cause viewers to place too much trust in some news sources that manipulate facts with clever wording and all manner of syntax ([...]).

The real solution is to inoculate the public from the bias of the news by educating them about sly techniques opinionated news sources use. Media education is increasingly necessary in our technologically advanced world.

Feedback and Knowledge Base