Join the Discussion...

FCC: Keep Over the Air TV (OTA) free and available.

The recent re-banding and auctioning of spectrum formerly reserved for broadcast TV has spurred the thoughts of many that the FCC might be anxious to sell off even more spectrum. Some have gone as far as to say that, with cable, satellite and Internet media available, there is no longer a need for OTA TV broadcasting. Nothing could be further from the truth.
OTA broadcasting provides a local focus from a broadcaster in a specific geographic region. That focus is not shared by cable and satellite operations.
There are also economic and social arguments to be made in favor of maintaining free OTA broadcasting. While most households have at least one television, not everyon can afford a subscription to cable or satellite content.
Free OTA broadcasting, serving the community interest, must be maintained.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rick SantinaRick Santina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well now where I live we can only get satellite or OTA. Now we had the satellite for years, but we found out that they are NOT kind to their loyal customers so we gave them the boot. Then we heard on radio on the NPR, that in Canada the satellite or cable companies allow customers to do a ala carte or buy what channels they want. Now why can't they do that in USA? Now if it wasn't for the only one company in my area I wouldn't have internet either to be saying my opinion. If you ask me I would tell you that people in town or in capital are spoiled brats and not grateful for anything. Why when we started on our land their wasn't even electricity. What do you think of that? That was only 19 years ago!

I currently have free antenna TV. I've learned that if I move less than three miles from my current rental residence, I will be forced to obtain a different electric company. Part of their billing is a $5.00 charge for CTV, because they support a major tower in this area for reception. I was told even if I have my own antenna they will charge me this monthly fee for use of their tower. I never paid a cent to my previous electric company. I thought antenna TV was meant to be FREE, so how are they able to charge all their customers this additional fee? I thought this is why I purchased a converter box years ago, to access free antenna TV reception.

With the recent rebanding, many rural areas con no longer receive "free" OTA broadcasts and must now rely on cable and satellite providers for even the most basic information services. With no real cap on paid providers' subscription rates the customer pays more and more the the "luxury" of even basic "OTA" television. My own cable service now charges me over 50% more than they did at service start 7 months ago. It's legal robbery. And As Jesse Skeen commented, these paid providers are double dipping by charging subscribers and advertisers.

• Jesse SkeenJesse Skeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as most cable channels show commercials AND "Paid Programming", I see no logical reason to pay for cable. Commercials have always been on broadcast TV because they are what pays for the programming- with cable they're getting money from advertisers AND viewers, and that is just plain wrong.

• kathy Sandlinkathy Sandlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sonya A, when I lost mine I had to get a high gain antenna booster, it did not get all the channels back but I have learned to live with the 2 channels that I do receive. Only problem, they are not local but their radar map usually will show my area on the news casts. Michael Whay, the only way I can get up to date weather forecast or emergency info from my local radio station is to call them and ask, and that is only if my phone service is still working. Last storm power was out for 5 days radio station never said a word as to when we could expect it to be restored, phone was out also. cell phone kept dropping calls do to overload. My plow driver couldn't get here do to road closer, although I have a small generator I could not get out to get gas and most gas station were without power also as were stores to get some supplies. I'm alive! Not that anyone cared.

• Sonya ASonya A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree there are those that cant afford to subscribe to pay tv and more and more with the rising costs. But there is thousands that cant afford it and now with the digital switch do not get any local stations. This is putting some of our elderly that are on a tight budget in danger since there is no way for them to get weather up dates when there is tornado warnings. What good is improving being able to predict these weather trends if they can not warn those in the way of the storms path.

• Michael WhayMichael Whay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A person like myself living on the coastline, my weather changes fast and hurricane season is far too long. I have had multiple TV carriers, and Internet providers over the years. For safety I have always had an antenna and a weather radio. Since each Channel Radio or TV is responsible for signal transmission compared to the current providers Internet and TV alike only send one signal, when its out it completely out.

• Rob RamRob Ram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I solely rely on over the air broadcast TV. I do not have cable; never had and never shall have cable. ATSC TV is fantastic. I get sharp HD video when available. I have invested in four HDTV sets starting back in 1999; paid over $5000 for the first HDTV and finally donated the set to a church. I love HDTV, but I do not care for a cell phone. I did at one time have a cell phone, but when AT&T screwed around with the change from TDMA to CDMA (or whatever), I vowed never to have a cell phone again. I have learned that the cell phone adds nothing to the quality of life. I do not want to screw around with “text messages”, pictures, internet or TV on the cell phone…etc. Enough is enough. I greatly appreciate simplicity over fool’s technology. Yet I have degrees in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and mathematics. I love engineering.
        Also remember that the spectrum belongs to the citizens. The spectrum does not belong to the FCC, Congress; the Telco’s or even the broadcasters. The citizens own the spectrum. The Telco’s bid the sky is the limit to win the auction. The costs of the auction are passed its customers. The customer is now forced into paying to access his/her own property. OUTRAGEOUS! There is NO government agency looking out for the interest of the citizens. It’s all about BIG corporate MONEY! The auction does not serve the citizens, OUT LAW the auction process.

• Chris CouchChris Couch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cable TV prices are going higer every day, that I dropped my cable tv, and keep my internet, and I boutght a digital HD converter to have the local channels, and if the weather gets bad especially in Oklahoma.

• Susan WinterSusan Winter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was bad enough when analog went away and many people could no longer get access to emergency information on an over the air tv (cliff effect or availability). This is now more ridiculous. Local TV channels need to be available to a simple portable TV that does not require any converters or additional power equipment. TV should be free and available not only for everyday viewing, but for emergencies.

• Paul CampbellPaul Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are alot of low income fammiles living in the us that just can not pay for subscription tv, I am one, Leave OTA free for the elderly & disabled & for who ever wants to do away with OTA free tv leave it be!!! & find something else to complain about.

• Sir Patrick McNabbSir Patrick McNabb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with The MoMan because our place in the country cant receive internet or cable and on top of that we get a crappy connection to the basic channels. Outside of that i think its the peoples rights to get this stuff to get updates on what is going on in their communtiy and weather updates. On the other hand DeAna does bring up a very good point with out watching tv or cable especially it is kind of like you are out of the loop with people at school and wouldnt fit in as well.

• DeAna MirelliDeAna Mirelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With out the ota some families couldn't watch any television at all! They could still get important emergency and weather updates from the radio, but could you imagine being a twelve year old that can't watch any television at home? You wouldn't know what your friends were talking about at school. If you don't have cable, you probably wont have internet...

• TheMoManTheMoMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

____ Remember the last mile, the customers out that last mile of wire. We would love to have better than 56k dial-up' However it isn't going to happen because of cost to get the signal here. We live just out side the service areas of three WiFiMax providers, remember just out side. I know that there is Sat, is that ever expensive especially for some one that is retired. Remember that BS called BPL, they did not even mention coming out here nope concentrate on the cities where the cost per mile is better.

• TheMoManTheMoMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out here in the boonies. There is no Cable, No DSL, and really poor Cell phone, so the FCC wants to shut off our only connection to the outside world, What would we do watch taped news casts from people in Cities?? Right now our OTATV antenna receives 28 channels does the FCC want that to go dark?? How would we get weather alerts??

• oiejfaewjfoiawgowgt4wtwrweoiejfaewjfoiawgowgt4wtwrwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YA KNOW WHAT? I THINK THAT WE NEED TO GET RID OF DTV! WHY GET FREE TV AND NOT PAY ANYTHING WHEN YOU CAN GET PAY TV AND BE SCREWED OUT OF OUR MONEY! I THINK THAT IT IS BETTER TO SCREW PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR MONEY RATHER THAN KEEP FREE TV! DEATH TO FREE TV!

JUST KIDDING! KEEP FREE TV FOR THE REST OF US THAT DO NOT USE OR WANT CABLE/SATTELITE!

• oiejfaewjfoiawgowgt4wtwrweoiejfaewjfoiawgowgt4wtwrwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YA KNOW WHAT? I THINK THAT WE NEED TO GET RID OF DTV! WHY GET FREE TV AND NOT PAY ANYTHING WHEN YOU CAN GET PAY TV AND BE SCREWED OUT OF OUR MONEY! I THINK THAT IT IS BETTER TO SCREW PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR MONEY RATHER THAN KEEP FREE TV! DEATH TO FREE TV!

JUST KIDDING! KEEP FREE TV FOR THE REST OF US THAT DO NOT USE OR WANT CABLE/SATTELITE!

Feedback and Knowledge Base