Join the Discussion...

This should be for the companies themselves to decide.

The Commission has the power to regulate some aspects of the business of communication by radio and by wire. But constitutionally, government does not have the power to regulate companies' "approaches to delivering news and information." This is an area in which the companies should be free to be creative, and the marketplace free to vote with its eyes and its wallets. Don't you agree?

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brett GlassBrett Glass shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TV and radio stations are licensed as a matter of being "in the public good." Once upon a time there was an FCC mandate that all news broadcasts had to be done in a fair and unbiased manner. Either that mandate has been dropped or it's no longer being enforced. Most media reporting today is skewed far to the Left and very biased. Everything is sensationalized and rushed to air to beat the other guy to the scoop. Inaccuracies are overlooked. Details are intentionally left out. I just don't see how any of this is "in the public good." Constitutional or not, we the public deserve fair and balanced reporting.

• tpttpt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like national parks, the public owns the airwaves. Public parks have all sorts of rules, including rules that inhibit free speech. The law provides that the airwaves be used in the public interest, not that corporations should have complete freedom to do whatever they like. As an individual you have free speech, as a broadcaster you should have responsibilities.

• Briana Anastasia TrewittBriana Anastasia Trewitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree because the United States strictly follows the constitution and private companies and corporations have the right to do what they feel is best for themselves. However, if they are overly crude and allow anything to come on the air, then they wont have viewers or listeners.

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I whole-heartily agree, creativity should be something that is encouraged at all levels; even (or especially) at the expense of regulation and idea monopolies. The only thing the (American) government should do with creative ad is make sure they are widely considered acceptable. As for creativity in general, they should encourage, promote and ensure that America is the leader for innovation, creativity, and far-reaching ideals.

Feedback and Knowledge Base